Training and Events Manager
|Closing date||22 October 2020|
|Role||Conferences / Events|
The RES is seeking a bright individual with an ability to lead and manage our events and training activities at a time of organisational development. The Training and Events Manager will be responsible for the planning and delivery of the Royal Economic Society’s (RES) annual programme of events which currently includes an annual international academic conference, mentoring retreat, public lecture, and European Job Market (the latter in collaboration with other partners). The role will also be pivotal in developing a new professional development programme for our members, which may include online delivery. We are looking for a candidate that is flexible and happy to roll up their sleeves in a varied and evolving role. Someone comfortable managing multiple tasks, have great organisational skills and a strong events background.
- Act as primary point of contact for all enquiries related to the Conference and events, including delegates, keynote speakers and exhibitors.
- Build and manage positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Book and liaise with event venues, filming, catering companies and other third-party stakeholders to produce the highest quality events.
- Operational responsibility for event budgets and preparation of post-event financial/activity reports.
- Provide administrative support to the Conference Secretary, including organising and supporting the Conference Committee meetings, ensuring that actions arising are progressed and that best practice is shared.
- Briefing RES staff and officers in the lead up to events as well as on the day and overseeing and coordinating event volunteers.
- Successfully managing the event on the day, troubleshooting any last-minute issues and drawing on support from RES colleagues where appropriate.
- Where events are held virtually – acting as lead on all aspects of online delivery including gaining a thorough understanding of the web-based platform being used to mitigate any technical issues.
- Develop and maintain electronic and paper filing systems, databases and spreadsheets of all key documents and contracts.
Sponsorship and marketing
- Seek revenue from sponsorship and other appropriate forms of event income
- Work with colleagues to compile and disseminate publicity materials such as e-marketing campaigns, leaflets, posters and programmes for events, using social media and other digital channels as appropriate
- Maintain accurate event registration lists using conference programme software, manage the conference registration process and be responsible for updating the conference webpages.
Planning and development
- Gather and analyse data on all events and professional development.
- Research virtual platforms suitable for virtual delivery of different events.
- Provide regular reports on the impact, effectiveness and financial outcome of events and professional development.
- Utilise the feedback on events and professional development (both operational and end user experience) to further develop these programmes.
- At least 4 years’ experience of organising and running events including dealing with operational details on the day
- Extensive experience of working with different event stakeholders and managing the working relationships over the lifetime of the event or learning cycle.
- Experience of advertising and liaising with external organisations for sponsorship in order to generate income to continue RES programme of events
- Educated to at least A Level standard or equivalent
- Exceptional organisational skills, as well as an ability to work independently using own initiative and prioritising skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience of financial record keeping and delivering projects within budget
- Experience of evaluating and reporting on event activities
- Significant experience with IT, including MS Office packages (including Excel) as well as web content management. Passionate about technology and skilled when learning new software.
- Ability to use tact and diplomacy and to represent the organisation at external events in a professional manner.
- Ability to work well within a team with a flexible can-do approach to work
- Experience with content management systems and project management methodologies.
- Knowledge of Conference Maker or similar conference paper submission/event organising software
- Experience of organising academic conferences
- Experience or awareness of developing professional development/L&D activities.
- Experience of developing online learning activities and using different virtual interactive platforms.
Some physical work may be required to handle exhibition stands and transport conference promotional material.
Title: Training and Events Manager
Reports to: Head of Operations
Location: Currently working from home, but otherwise based at our Westminster Offices, Central London (occasional travel to meetings within the UK and Europe may be required)
Hours: 35 hours per week
Job Type: 1 year fixed term (with possibility of extension subject to organisational priorities & allocated funding)
How to apply
To apply please send your CV and personal statement outlining how you meet each person specification point to email@example.com by 22 September 2020.