Strategic Communications Lead
About the European Climate Foundation
The European Climate Foundation (ECF) is a major philanthropic initiative working to help tackle climate change by fostering the development of a net-zero emission society at the national, European and global level.
We support over 350 partner organisations to carry out activities that drive urgent and ambitious policy in support of the objectives of the Paris Agreement, contribute to the public debate on climate action and help deliver a socially responsible transition to a net-zero economy and sustainable society in Europe and around the world.
The foundation works through several sectoral, cross-cutting and regional initiatives and collaborates with a wide network of partners to advance progress towards this shared goal. The ECF team is a highly dynamic group of individuals, combining ambition and passion with a rigorous, results-oriented and analytic approach to the work. The ECF’s culture is one of intensity, enthusiasm and mutual support.
About the role
ECF is currently accepting applications for an experienced communications specialist to perform the role of Strategic Communications Lead on EU Politics. Working closely with the ECF programs and partners, the successful candidate will navigate the complex European political environment to help speed up the net-zero transition at the European level.
The role offers a unique opportunity for a highly driven individual with a sincere interest in European politics and climate issues to work with a talented team and play an active role in delivering the transition and help avoid the worst impacts of global climate change.
The Strategic Communications Lead on EU Green Deal Politics will develop European communications strategies to enhance the public debate on the European Green Deal in Brussels and in countries and work as part of a global network of communications experts to create more political, media and public endorsement for ambitious European climate policies. The work will involve maintaining trusted relationships with key journalists and stakeholders.
The Strategic Communications Lead on EU Politics, will be responsible for:
- Developing compelling EU-wide climate communications strategies covering the European Green Deal, with a view to influence and shift public debates at the EU level as well as in EU Member States and internationally;
- Working with a wide spectrum of ECF grantees and external partners to turn strategy into workable campaigns to influence the policy and political agenda, developing effective communications plans and delivering materials, stories, voices and messaging around key moments;
- Developing European communications projects through partnerships and grant-making to support this strategy;
- Developing structures and approaches that can react quickly to emerging opportunities and changes in the external context;
- Developing audience knowledge to identify levers for influence and devise communications plans that address them;
- Making full use of new and innovative methods of digital communications to disseminate targeted messaging;
- Developing and maintaining strong relationships with key correspondents and editors in mainstream and specialist media for pro-active promotion of stories and voices, outreach on emerging issues and reactive media management;
- Developing and maintaining a diverse network of partners and contacts across sectors (academia, corporate, non-profit, politics, media);
- Working hand-in-hand with an international network of communications experts who seek to advance the momentum of the transition to a net-zero emissions economy and society.
Experience and competencies
- A genuine interest in the mission and values of the organization;
- At least 8 years’ experience in strategic communications or campaigning;
- A strong understanding of the processes and dynamics of EU politics and policymaking and of the climate debate;
- Detailed understanding of the European media landscape and values, and experience of strategic story placement, messaging, etc.;
- Experience of deploying major communications initiatives involving important coordination aspects with multiple stakeholders;
- Far-reaching and active networks (media in Brussels and European markets; energy/climate community);
- Strong diplomatic skills and interpersonal relations, ability to quickly build trust with partners and colleagues;
- Outstanding English skills, with proven skills to produce engaging and impactful written materials;
- The ability to communicate effectively with minimum guidance;
- Gravitas sufficient to work directly with high profile individuals and partners from diverse backgrounds at all levels;
- Strong time and priority management, high level of independence and can-do mentality, good team-player with a passion for excellence;
- High levels of self-motivation, used to working at a high pace in remote settings, as part of international teams;
- A commitment to the values of the organization;
- A commitment to an inclusive and empowering approach to facing climate change.
What we offer
- The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic, international group of individuals who combine their passion to make a difference with ambition and a rigorous and results-oriented approach to work;
- A flexible work environment and a space to develop and challenge yourself;
- A permanent employment contract.
Brussels preferred, but other ECF locations can be considered.
As soon as possible.
How to apply
Please submit your CV and cover letter (both maximum 2 pages) HERE
All applications will be treated confidentially. We will store your information in our internal database unless you specifically request otherwise.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion in our organisation. We strongly encourage candidates from disadvantaged or marginalised backgrounds to apply.