Interim Chief Executive Officer (maternity leave cover)
|Closing date||27 October 2019|
|Role||Leadership / Strategy|
EAHAD is seeking a maternity leave replacement for a period of 9 months starting in December 2019 for the position of interim Chief Executive Officer. This is a full-time position based in Brussels and reporting to the EAHAD President, Vice-President, and Board of Directors. The interim CEO will manage EAHAD’s Brussels office, including supervising two full-time staff and liaising with external contractors, suppliers, and stakeholders. She/he will also oversee all of EAHAD’s projects, activities, and operations, as well as its annual Congress in February. Working in collaboration with the Board of Directors, the candidate will ensure the continuity of the work of the CEO during her maternity leave and lead the organisation in carrying out its mission and strategic objectives for 2020.
Founded in 2007, the European Association for Haemophilia and Allied Disorders (EAHAD) is a not-for-profit membership organisation that seeks to improve care for people with haemophilia and other bleeding disorders through research, knowledge dissemination, and multidisciplinary collaboration. Its members are healthcare professionals from a variety of disciplines including haematologists, internists, paediatricians, nurses, physiotherapists, psychologists, social workers, laboratory scientists, and researchers. Since 2019, it is registered as an international not-for-profit association (AISBL) under Belgian law with the registration number 0718.594.509.
- Daily management of the association and of the Brussels office.
- Monitor and review all ongoing projects and activities to ensure they meet EAHAD’s objectives and standards.
- Lead, develop, and review the performance of staff. o Work collaboratively with EAHAD’s President and Vice-President to implement EAHAD’s agreed action plan for 2020.
- Communicate effectively to the Board of Directors in a timely and accurate manner, to enable them to make informed decisions.
- Organise and prepare all documentation for Board of Directors meeting in May 2020 and meeting with industry partners in June 2020. o
- Liaise with external contractors and suppliers, industry partners, and other stakeholders, including organising meetings/teleconferences as necessary.
- Ensure continued financial health of the organisation by managing annual sponsorship contracts and grant agreements.
- Work with the Treasurer, external accountant, payroll company, and part-time administrative assistant to ensure EAHAD meets financial, administrative and HR legal requirements.
- Manage services provided by external suppliers (congress organisation, IT, office rental, payroll) and negotiate new contracts, as they arise.
- Maintain detailed records to ensure a smooth transition at the end of contract period.
- Represent EAHAD externally.
- Minimum 5-10 years in the not-for-profit sector, with at least 3 years in a senior management position (including leading a team).
- Experience in a medical or healthcare-related organisation highly desirable
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject area.
- Proven track record in financial management and reporting.
- Knowledge and familiarity with Belgian legislation and policies (HR, fiscal, etc.).
- Able to handle confidential information with discretion.
- Native or native-equivalent English speaker. Very good knowledge of French and/or Dutch. Knowledge of other European languages considered an asset.
- Very strong written and oral communications skills, including experience giving presentations, explaining complex concepts to specialist and non-specialist audiences, and responding effectively to email and telephone enquiries.
- Excellent interpersonal skills within a multicultural context.
- Demonstrated leadership and diplomacy skills.
- Highly analytical, attentive to detail, and able to easily adapt to change.
- Comfortable working with a range of computer programmes and software, including proficient user of Excel. Knowledge of Exact Online accounting software an asset.
- Willingness to travel (approx. once per month) and occasionally work on evenings and weekends around events.
- Authorised to work in Belgium
WHAT WE OFFER:
- 9-month contract (December 2019-August 2020) with possibility of extension.
- Competitive salary and benefits package.
- Flexible working hours.
- Exposure to an innovative and fast-developing field of medicine and an opportunity to work with highly motivated leaders in their field.
- Diversity of tasks and lots of opportunity for creative input and professional growth.
- Vibrant and creative office environment in a central area of Brussels.
How to apply
- Please send your curriculum vitae and cover letter in English, mentioning your earliest start date and salary expectation, to Aislin Ryan at firstname.lastname@example.org by 27 October at 23:59 CET with the subject line “Interim CEO”.
- Please note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. All applications will be treated with full confidentiality.