Head of Membership
|Closing date||16 August 2020|
Overview of The Union
Since our founding as a global scientific organisation in 1920, The Union has drawn from the best evidence and the skills, expertise and reach of our staff, consultants and membership in order to advance solutions to the most pressing public health challenges affecting people living in poverty around the world.
The Union has thousands of individual and organisational members forming an international network of huge influence and knowledge that is the bedrock of our work.
We have three main approaches to achieving our mission:
As a scientific organisation, The Union’s approach starts with evidence. We conduct research so that we can know the nature of the challenges we face and their most effective solutions.
Through our peer-reviewed journals, our global and regional conferences, and through training courses and technical assistance, we provide platforms for sharing scientific knowledge with stakeholders around the world. A flagship Union event each year is The Union World Conference on Lung Health where over 3,000 participants come from around the world to learn about the latest research, policy developments and programmatic advances. The conference attracts high profile, influential speakers including those who have survived TB as well as Ministers of Health and leading researchers.
By directly delivering health services and advocating on behalf of those affected by tuberculosis and lung disease, we directly act on the best available scientific knowledge.
Know. Share. Act. These principles have driven The Union’s work since its founding.
Do you have an excellent track record of leading and managing the development of membership in a member association? Have you got strong experience planning and delivering commercial, digitally-driven strategies, and leading teams to implement these successfully?
Do you want to make a real difference to the Public Health sector? We are looking for an outstanding Head of Membership to lead the development and further growth of The Union’s membership.
Fixed term contract 1-2 years (TBD) with the potential to extend or move to permanent.
Head of Membership
The post will oversee the ongoing development, delivery and management of The Union’s Membership and will share that expertise organisation wide. They will lead on the development of all elements of The Union’s Membership scheme and develop and maintain all processes to manage and grow the reach. This post drive ambitious growth targets and work with the teams to sell membership and retain current members.
We are seeking a Head of Membership to:
- Lead the ongoing development and delivery of the membership growth and retention strategy, planning steps to improve the support we provide to our members, and through this to grow our membership
- Deliver against ambitious membership growth targets- by developing and executing ongoing engagement programmes and recruitment strategies
- Work with colleagues to plan and monitor campaigns to increase our acquisition, retention and engagement with members
- Lead the planning and delivery of member workshops and consultations when necessary to ensure the product remains fit for purpose
- Support the ongoing development and delivery of departmental processes, including renewals, joining, and elections
- Drive membership marketing and communications programmes, supporting content generation and stepping in to develop communications where appropriate
- Oversee and deliver regular reports to support the overall positioning of the team and membership internally and with senior members including staff meetings, Membership Committee, Board
- Support the development of the team
Reporting in to the Membership Director, you will play a key role in the wider Union
Applicants must be able to demonstrate the following essential requirements in particular:
- Proven track record managing development of membership, with significant experience planning, delivering and exceeding commercial strategies and targets
- Membership Marketing experience, good writing skills, significant experience developing engagement programmes
- Experience leading development and management of digital business systems, websites, and e-learning, and using CRM to analyse and plan membership engagement
- Management of P&Ls, and budgets
- Regular collaboration across departments, especially communications
How to apply
To apply please submit a current CV along with a cover letter, no more than 2 sides of A4, addressing how you meet the criteria within the person spec and job description and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org with HOM in the object line of your email. Please provide examples of your work to illustrate your experience.