Head of Governance, Membership & Capacity Building
|Closing date||19 May 2022|
The European Patients’ Forum (EPF) is one of the most prominent civil society organisations active in health policy at European level. EPF is the umbrella organisation of patient organisations across the EU and a driving force to advance patient empowerment and involvement in EU health policy debates. EPF’s vision is to ensure equitable access to high-level, patient-centred care for all patients in Europe.
EPF engages in policy advocacy and campaigning and participates in EU-funded projects. We organise educational and policy events, and capacity-building initiatives.
EPF was founded in 2003 and is a non-governmental, non-profit organisation with a secretariat based in Brussels. EPF currently represents 75 members, which are national coalitions of patient organisations and disease-specific patient organisations working at European level. We reflect the collective voice of the estimated 150 million patients living with various chronic diseases throughout Europe.
For more information see www.eu-patient.eu.
Purpose of the role
The Head of Governance, Membership and Capacity Building is a senior management role which ensures the inclusiveness and representation of all EPF Members in the daily functioning of the EPF secretariat and oversee the learning offer of EPF.
This position oversees the Membership, Governance and Capacity Building team to:
- Deliver excellent membership governance across EPF to the Executive Director and the Board;
- Take responsibility of all statutory and regulatory compliance with the EPF Constitution and with the Belgian regulations and with the EPF Constitution;
- Act as a bridge between EPF members and the EPF Secretariat, making sure the priorities of EPF members are reflected in our work, and that the members make the most of their EPF membership;
- Contribute to the ideation of the 2023 EPF workplan based on the EPF 2021-2026 Strategic Plan;
- Design the EPF capacity building 2023 annual workplan of the EPF Capacity Building Programme for patients' organisations with the support of the capacity building team.
Membership engagement management:
- Supervise and coordinate the implementation of the EPF membership strategy to ensure that EPF serves the needs of its members to the optimum;
- In collaboration with the EPF policy team, encourage EPF membership input and response to EPF policy consultations;
- In collaboration with the EPF projects team, promote EPF members’ participation in a variety of projects according to expertise, areas of needs and interest, and geographical spread;
- Plan and develop the contents and structure of events for EPF members;
- In collaboration with the Communications team, encourage active membership involvement in EPF events, dissemination, social media activities.
- Lead in the recruitment of new members, overseen the application procedures and facilitation of their integration and active involvement in EPF.
Leading on EPF Capacity building offer:
Designing, Planning, monitoring, and implementing the EPF Capacity Building Programme for patient organisations at national and European level, which includes:
- design of new training modules;
- identification and selection of experts and trainers;
- liaising with EPF members and all other participating organisations in the countries concerned;
- supervising the work of external contractors to ensure they deliver on time, on budget and to the right standards of quality;
- designing and implementing monitoring and evaluation plans and activities in respect of individual training modules as well as the Capacity Building Programme as such;
- preparation of reports to be submitted to EPF Sponsors;
- contribute to EPF Congresses;
- coordinate the EPF and Cattolica University Master Programme on International Patient Advocacy;
- coordinate and supervise the EPF AI Fund grant aiming at developing knowledge and advocacy skills of the patient community about AI in healthcare in collaboration with the project and policy team;
- provide Capacity Building expert input to Capacity Building related activities in EU funded projects, such as PERISCOPE, Gravitate Health and H2O.
- Oversee the work of the EPF Membership and Governance Officer with the aim of delivering timely support across EPF to the Executive Director and the Board, by ensuring that agendas, meeting papers and minutes are prepared in a timely and accurate manner.
Administrative management responsibilities:
- Supervising the Membership, Governance and Capacity Building team members: undertakes effective line management including appraisals;
- Defining and monitoring the resources allocation of the Membership, Governance and Capacity Building team and reporting to the Executive Director;
- Collaborate with the other members of the Senior Management Team to promote and coordinate members’ involvement in EPF projects, policy work, and communications;
- Support the Executive Director to prepare briefings and reporting to the Board.
- Other tasks to advance the effectiveness and efficiency of EPF as an organisation.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- University level degree;
- At least 5 years of experience, preferably with NGO or health background;
- People and consultant management experience;
- Knowledge and experience of how a membership-based NGO operates;
- Experience in planning and delivering capacity building activities/trainings, preferable in the NGO sector;
- Experience of collaborative working between different stakeholders groups;
- Planning and organisation skills with a focus on attention to detail, ability to work autonomously withing a small team and to operate at a fast pace;
- Availability to travel across Europe (depending on the sanitary measures);
- Mediation and facilitation skills - ability to coordinate and solicit opinions and feedback from a group with diverse perspectives to reach a common, best solution;
- Proven commitment to high professional ethical standards and diversity and learning in the workplace;
- Fluent spoken and written English, with another EU language being a strong advantage;
- Excellent computer skills and proficient in MS Office.
Personal qualities and attributes
- Demonstrable commitment to the vision and the mission of the European Patients' Forum;
- Solution-oriented with a positive, can-do attitude and a collaborative approach to the team and our constituency;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative management style.
- Reports to: Executive Director;
- Line management: 1-3 employees;
- All team.
- EPF President;
- EPF Board;
- EPF member organisations;
- External lawyers;
- Founders, and stakeholders;
- Project/Programme partners;
- Trainers and consultants;
- A full-time position;
- A friendly, dynamic, and multi-cultural team and international working environment;
- An opportunity to gain hands-on experience on EU health policy and advocacy work working for a highly respected organisation;
- The opportunity to amplify the voice and enhance the perspective of patients in Europe;
- A competitive monthly salary according to the candidate’s experience, coupled with various benefits:
- Lunch vouchers (8 euros/day);
- Annual bonus;
- Health care (hospitalisation and ambulatory care and pension insurance);
- Working from home allowance;
- Additional holiday;
- Transportation offered in line with our internal policy.
How to apply
If you are interested in this position, please submit an application via email, including a cover letter, CV in English and 2 references, to: %email@example.com (Subject line: “Application for the position of Head of Governance, Membership and Capacity Building – (Your Full name)”).
Interviews will take place on a rolling basis.
The deadline for applications is 19 May 2022, 23:59.
Please note that due to the volume of applications expected, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, or age.