Head of External Affairs
Established in 1866, the Royal Aeronautical Society (RAeS) is the world’s only professional body dedicated to the entire aerospace community.
You will lead the policy and public affairs activity to ensure the Royal Aeronautical Society is recognised as a leading professional body and an independent and authoritative voice.
Working closely with the Director, Knowledge and Networks, you will be responsible for the corporate communications strategy and its digital delivery (with particular emphasis on social media channels) across all external networks in order to drive awareness of the Society’s thought leadership and activities.
Working alongside the Head of Society Community Engagement you will ensure the harmonisation of communications between our internal and external stakeholders.
You will also manage the Digital Engagement and Publications Teams ensuring delivery of objectives and outputs.
- Devise, develop, and implement the policy strategy to raise the profile, credibility and influence of the Society with key individuals and audiences across industry and government
- Co-ordinate agreed policy within all sections of the RAeS specifically on matters relating to commercial and defence aerospace, aviation and space
- Undertake research and prepare, co-ordinate and publish briefings and policy statements and appropriate submissions into government consultations and Select Committee inquiries
- Working with the Head of Society Community Engagement, engage constructively with members including the Specialist Groups on matters of importance to the aerospace and aviation community to inform and build consensus for the Society’s priorities and plans for engagement with stakeholders
- Provide parliamentary and political intelligence to Chief Executive, President, Senior Leadership Team and others as appropriate
- Responsible for developing and implementing the media strategy to increase awareness of the Society both nationally and internationally and managing press/media engagement
- Work with the Head of Society Community Engagement to publish and present Society policy views to the membership through internal publications, communication channels and (as authorised) through press and media outlets
- Liaise with and represent the Society at relevant external organisations, including the Aerospace Growth Partnership, ADS and Parliament
- Ownership of the cross-Society HQ digital transformation, collaborating with key internal and external stakeholders and directing the Digital Engagement Team
- Oversee the Society’s communications and social media strategies, policies and guidelines to deliver on objectives with clarity and consistency and optimise delivery and interaction
- Motivate, encourage and manage an effective team dynamic, providing guidance and support where appropriate to the Publications Team and the Digital Engagement Team
- Solid working knowledge of aerospace, defence and space
- Good understanding of UK corporate activity and involvement in industry
- Comprehensive understanding and knowledge of Parliamentary procedure and government affairs
- Working knowledge of press and media with ability to represent the Society internationally in all forms (TV, radio, press, social media)
- Knowledge of a professional body or association is desirable
- Ability to prioritise workload, multi-task, delegate and complete tasks to deadlines
- Strong team leader with the capacity to motivate and manage a team
- Positive, energetic and proactive approach to tasks
- Highly effective and engaging written and verbal skills, this includes listening and debating
- Attention to detail and accuracy is essential
- Uphold the highest standards of ethical conduct in all professional dealings
At the present time, due to COVID-19, our employees are working remotely fromhome. This may change in the future and is dependent on the current climate.
In return for your commitment, we guarantee your development within the role and offer an attractive salary, life assurance, pension, and healthcare scheme.
We value equality and diversity and positively encourage applications from everyone.
As part of our recruitment process, the RAeS collects and processes personal data relating to job applicants. The RAeS is committed to being transparent about how it collects and uses that data and to meeting its data protection obligations. All applications will be deleted or destroyed one month after the recruitment process has ended. Should you wish further clarification, please obtain a copy of our Job Applicant Privacy Notice.
- Life insurance
- Private medical/dental insurance – Simply Health
- Attractive Pension Scheme
How to apply
To apply please send your CV to email@example.com.