Director of Association
|Closing date||04 June 2023|
|Role||Leadership / Strategy|
At the MBA we have a strong emphasis on attracting, retaining and developing talented individuals who share our passion, commitment and advocacy for a sustainable ocean. In return, we are offering you a unique opportunity to make a difference. The new role of Director of Association will provide strategic oversight to our commercial and charitable business team, promoting and developing our Learned Society, Membership and training activities as well as standing up for, and boosting equality, diversity and inclusion. This is a strategic role for someone who owns their career, who seeks solutions to challenges, who has a growth mind-set and can translate these to make a real difference to our ocean. Being an effective senior manager and strategic thinker is a given, a proven track record in driving business growth is critical. This exciting role will have a wide remit to provide extensive marketing expertise to promote the MBA’s commercial and charitable business activities across the strategic pillars of Science, Research Facilities and Association. The goal will be to maximise our ambitious growth strategy to build the MBA’s reputation as a Learned Society and to become a pre-eminent advisor in marine biology. You will make a genuine contribution to shaping the future of our ocean.
The MBA is a Learned Society of scientists and Members in over forty countries, across five continents. Its in-depth scientiﬁc research into the interconnected marine environment is carried out from its prestigious laboratory HQ in Plymouth, UK (Britain’s Ocean City). It has a Royal Charter that recognises its world-leading status in marine biology. Since 1884, the MBA has worked as a voice for the ocean and in the interests of the global marine biological community. The MBA’s advanced knowledge has contributed to the work of 13 Nobel Laureates and over 170 Fellows of The Royal Society.
Over the last 2 years, the MBA has made a range of strategic appointments to focus on building our Membership offer, enhancing our training and events programme, improving communications and strengthening our philanthropic fundraising. In parallel, we have invested £5-Million in our research facilities to expand our research programme, and have plans to invest a further £4-Million, which will improve accessibility and sustainability at our Plymouth HQ. This is a fantastic time to join the team as we create a world-class facility and grow our Learned Society activities as the Director of Association. This is part of a wider modernisation strategy we have termed Charting 150 Years of the Marine Biological Association taking inspiration from the MBA’s eminent scientific roots and spirit of discovery.
The successful candidate will have
- Extensive senior management experience
- Marketing expertise (ideally with relevant qualifications)
- Business development experience with proven ability to drive business growth, including: new markets, new clients, new partnerships and new products & services
- Proven expertise of creating and delivering product towards specified targets
- Proven expertise of successfully managing and collaborating with diverse teams with a range of skill sets
- Proactive strategic thinker with evidence of strategy development and implementation
- Change management skills and a passion for continuous improvement
- Demonstrable leadership and people management skills
- Proven ability to direct a strategic area of responsibility and deliver against a target-driven business plan
- Developed communication, interpersonal, and written skills to engage effectively with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders at all levels
- Proven ability to collaborate across functional boundaries to achieve shared goals
The work location will be the MBA Laboratory, Plymouth, in the far southwest of the UK, overlooking Plymouth Sound and on the border between Devon and Cornwall. Plymouth offers an outstanding quality of life, with its fantastic location by the sea and the dramatic expanse of Dartmoor National Park as a backdrop. Flexible working arrangements are standard; hybrid working can be arranged where appropriate.
Salary is commensurate with experience, and based on the UCEA scale (MBA Grade 6) £56,021 - £68,857. Relocation package will be available where appropriate.
- We offer generous leave, 30 days annual leave plus statutory Bank Holidays
- 3 Privilege Days given by the MBA (used during festive closure week alongside the statutory Bank Holidays)
- Generous pension scheme – MBA will contribute 10% of basic salary into a defined contribution scheme with staff making a 3% minimum contribution. MBA will match additional employee contributions up to an additional 5%.
- Flexible and hybrid working arrangements
- Subsidised on site canteen with free tea and coffee
- 20-minute paid morning break
- Cycle to work scheme
- Electronic vehicle lease scheme
- Low cost bookable parking on site
How to apply
Applications should be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org (reference 0323DOAWW) by the closing time/date of 2300h on Sunday 4th June 2023. Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed in Plymouth on 20th June 2023.
Informal enquiries can be made to the MBA Director of Finance, Janet Howes (email@example.com) and/or Chief Executive, Professor Willie Wilson (firstname.lastname@example.org). Further details on how to apply are available from www.mba.ac.uk/careers.