|Closing date||15 July 2020|
|Role||Education / Professional development|
|Salary||From GBP 32,000|
Purpose of the post
This position plays a key role in ensuring the effective governance of the organisation as well as managing the work of our advisory committees.
This is an opportunity to join a dynamic, enterprising and award-winning team based in the heart of the Cityof London. We are a progressive association that is very much valued by our members from the universities and higher education sector.
This role is responsible for providing secretariat support for a number of committees, including acting as company secretary, and providing general support across the events activities associated with some of the committees. This will give you a great overview of everything we do and will require you to interact closely with our members.
This is an important position that requires an intelligent, articulate and professionally presented individual. You will need to be well organised, experienced in committee work, have a good eye for detail, and to be able to work calmly under pressure.
It is important that the post holder is prepared to multi-task and work together with colleagues. There willbe a small amount of UK travel and the very occasional overnight stays away from London, for examplearound the time of the conferences. The position is offered as either full-time or part-time for the right candidate. Flexible hours and a combination of home and office working can be agreed, with a requirement that some time working in the office is expected as part of any flexible working agreement (when it is safe to do so).
We represent the UK’s university business schools and support them to deliver world class teaching and impactful research. We do this through lobbying, professional development, and research. Our team have won numerous awards for our services. Applicants must have the right to work in the UK.
The post holder will:
- Assist in the management of the Chartered ABS Council and other committees.
- Draft and agree agendas, write up and circulate minutes and follow up action points of committees.
- Act in a company secretariat role for the Council.
- Keep Charity Commission records up to date.
- Coordinate the follow-up action from Council and committee meetings, working with Chartered ABS colleagues as appropriate.
- Help with the logistics workshops related to the committees, working with colleagues at the Chartered ABS.
- Listen to the membership and observe other trends to help inform new activities the Chartered ABS may carry out for the benefit of its members.
- Provide general administrative support for the office and manage the office administrator (yet to be recruited).
- Any other duties that may reasonably be requested.
This job description sets out current duties of the post that may vary from time to time without changing the general character of the post or the level of responsibility entailed.
The Committees Manager is expected to have the following skills, knowledge and experience.
Skills / Abilities
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, including the ability to turn complex information into plain English
- Ability to communicate effectively and confidently with internal and external stakeholders
- Confidence to make recommendations to senior staff and to manage expectations
- Demonstrable expertise in the use of IT tools including Outlook and Word
- Ability to work at a high level of confidentiality
- Excellent multi-tasker who works well under pressure
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to work to tight deadlines
- Outstanding organisational skills
- Ability to work creatively and under own initiative
- Knowledge of UK Charity reporting requirements
- Knowledge of UK system of higher education
- Knowledge of UK business and management education
- Knowledge of the Chartered ABS and its activities
- Knowledge of the UK system of Government
- Experience in producing agendas and writing minutes for committees
- Experience in operating in a secretariat role
- Experience in dealing with sensitively and responding appropriately to a variety of stakeholders
- Experience in updating Charity Commission details
- Experience in project management
- Experience of work within an educational institution; stakeholder body; or local or national government
- Experience of line management
Personal Attributes and Circumstances
- Able to work as a member of the team and on own account
- Smart personal appearance
- Reliable and punctual
- Sound judgement
How to apply
Applicants are asked to send their CV with a covering letter explaining how you meet the Person Specification. Please specify if you are applying for a part-time or full-time position. Please send
applications to Anne Kiem email@example.com by 15 July 2020.