Commercial Director - Membership
|25 February 2024
About The Institute of Customer Service
The Institute of Customer Service is a leading independent expert, setting and upholding standards to enable our customers to improve their business performance through service. Our aim is to enable our members to achieve their ambition to improve their customer experience and we know that, in doing so, they will not only improve their own growth but also contribute to the growth of the UK economy.
We are recruiting a new Commercial Director – Membership, who will take ownership of our Client Experience Team. Your leadership role will focus on motivating, inspiring and directing them to provide relevant solutions, improve value and build our membership. This will require you to tangibly demonstrate the benefits of being a member of The Institute, the power (and potential) we have in driving change so that customer service is seen as a key business driver and return on their investment. Your ability to not only demonstrate all the above but also to empower your talented team to confidently demonstrate it for us is critical.
This Executive role will work as part of a collaborative and ambitious leadership team and will offer you a key role in positively impacting customer service and the sustainable commercial success of businesses across the UK.
As the Commercial Director – Membership, you will
- Be responsible and accountable for the Client Experience Directorate’s P&L and ensure income targets are achieved, while supporting the overall performance of The Institute.
- Work with your team to determine and deliver effective contact strategies and member engagement plans which increase the depth of our relationships, drive retention and offer value and satisfaction to our members.
- Oversee, with the Business Development Director, and the acquisition strategy ensuring we achieve our lead generation targets, ensure we are focus on the right industries and duration of membership that will lead to The Institute achieving its growth strategy.
- Support the Business Development Director and Client Delivery Directors to achieve targets and desired long-term growth.
- Lead and motivate a high-performing team to achieve financial targets on retention, product penetration and revenue goals.
- Work with your Executive Leadership colleagues to ensure all member communications, products, services, and value propositions are integrated and support the key strategic messages of The Institute.
To qualify as the Commercial Director – Membership, you will need
- Proven experience as the commercial account management lead for a commercially minded business, or organisation dealing with a business-to-business audience.
- Strategic vision and agility: able to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and trends, and incorporate them into your commercial activities.
- Possession of high level of business acumen, including successful P&L management and the ability to lead an ambitious team to achieve their individual and our collective objectives for membership retention, engagement, and acquisition.
- A ‘hunger’ for sustained performance with a passion that aligns with the Institutes Mission and Values.
- Evidence that you can ‘win hearts and minds’ both in terms of new business and member engagement (you need to be skilled at impressing clients at the highest level in a diverse and dynamic business audience) and within the business to ensure delivery – we will be looking for a track record of success.
- Strong interpersonal skills, an ability to eloquently convey complex ideas, and a good instinct for business.
- Able to enforce accountability, develop and empower leaders and managers from the bottom up, and to lead from the top down, to put people in a position to succeed.
- Strong communication and influencing skills based on collaborative working across all disciplines, virtual teams and with partner organisations.