Masterclass: Benchmarking for Association Value
Date and time
21 November 2018, 10:00-17:00
For trade associations it is more and more important to help your members. Not only collectively through advocacy, but more and more with knowledge, insights, valuable information and advice. You should help them become better entrepreneurs, with better results. This works two ways: when they are satisfied about your service to them, they will retain their membership. They get value for their money. Starting or continuing an industry-wide performance benchmarking survey and returning individual comparisons to your members, provides them with relevant knowledge and insights and helps them improve and compete.
Many associations have started benchmarking and many have failed. They missed the connection to their members; they did not prepare well; they did not have the right capacity, skills and experience. A good preparation would have helped them, as well as an effective benchmarking model. This masterclass will help you create your benchmark model to prevent failure and add substantial value to your membership.
Who should attend
CEO level executives, directors of research & membership managers of all sectors at trade associations.
||Registration & Refreshments
||Welcome, Introductions & goals for the day
||The Why of Benchmarking
- Associations have conducted benchmarking for several reasons. Among these reasons are helping members with market information or get market information for advocacy. Most of these reasons are internally focused. But are those the right reasons?
- We will show you what other reasons for benchmarking are possible and why the association is the body to conduct benchmarking
- We will practice with you to get your own why load and clear
||The 7 steps for effective benchmarking
Whey you know the why, you have to know how to do benchmarking. Preparation is 90% of success, also in benchmarking. You will be shown which 7 steps are needed for a successful benchmarking project. And you will work with these 7 steps to see what will be your issues and opportunities.
- Now you know the why and the how, you need to know the what
- To get clear what you want to do in benchmarking and to prepare for success, we introduce the benchmark model canvas. This canvas shows you all the aspects of a successful benchmark in 9 easy to understand blocks. You will be guided to fill in each block and create your own benchmark model.
- You will present the model to the other associations so they can help you to optimize your model.
Discussion and conclusion
Close of Masterclass
Early-booker (to 10 October): EUR 75
Late-booker: EUR 99
Member discount: 20% (Join here
About the Masterclass leaders
Tonnis van Dam is an Executive Master in Finance and Control and a Master of Benchmarking and has helped dozens of associations in successful benchmarking since 2007. Tonnis has specialized himself in benchmarking, in how companies can benefit from benchmarking and how associations can use benchmarking of members to help them improve performance. It’s Tonnis’ mission to help members improve. Improvement of business results leads to more healthy businesses, to more happy employees and to a better world. With benchmarking by associations, he noticed that he could help more businesses than one by one. Tonnis is writing a book about benchmarking for associations, to help them getting more knowledge about benchmarking and to enable them to conduct benchmarking of members themselves, creating opportunities for the association and market improvement for the members.
Erik Robbers is a broadly oriented entrepreneurial manager with over 25 years of experience in the field of financial and operational management. Erik helps businesses improve and is involved in benchmarking since 2007.
by past delegates to this masterclass series
"We were immediately engaged and inspired. The sessions were challenging yet practical. Can’t praise the training enough.”
“I had a good day and learned usefull skills. Good practical advice.”
Hilton Grand Place